Following on from my list of the pros and cons of full time employment, I figured the opposite side of the coin was the list of reasons why you should or should not work for yourself!!
So here they are!
Pros of working for yourself
- Time is your own. Not required to show up for 40 hours if you don’t want.
- Freedom. Make your own decision and policies. No men in suits telling you what to do.
- Opportunity to earn an uncapped income.
- Travel at a moment’s notice.
- Sense of achievement when you achieve.
- Business can move to ‘on the road’ if required.
- Opportunities to outsource the boring bits!
- Work in your pyjamas if you want!
Cons of working for yourself
- Self discipline required from the start!
- No superannuation – have to provide for your own retirement.
- Lack of social contact – I need playmates!! Sometimes I work better with others nearby.
- No structure to the day – left to my own devices working from home I can be tempted to sleep all day or go to the beach!
- No security. Money can be tight without a regular income.
- No chance of a free car and petrol!
- You have to learn a million skills and wear all those hats.
What do you think I missed? I’m sure there are far more pros to working for yourself than there are cons of self-employment! Let me know in the comments…